The Hampton Roads Innovation Collaborative (HRIC), until September 2015, was known as the Hampton Roads Technology Council (HRTC), one of ten technology councils in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
HRTC was formed in the late 1990s as a 501(c)6 non-profit solely focused on advancing the technology business in the Hampton Roads region.
In its early days, HRTC was focused on start-up incubators, an important component of business ecosystems, but eventually realized that incubators were inadequate as a driver of the regional economy.
HRIC is approaching its new mission in phases that are intended to regain positive forward momentum and assess and meet the needs of innovation and growth in Hampton Roads.
Since re-establishing itself in 2016, HRIC has focused on the following primary activities:
- Creating a network for area technology companies to leverage.
- Hosting quarterly events for face to face meetings.
- Sponsoring an annual Tech Expo with Regional Tech Awards.
- Creating value-added programming to assist tech companies in growing.
- Offering member companies the opportunity to showcase and market their products and services to a dedicated distribution of tech companies.